How do we know that a treatment is bunk and doesn’t even need to be tested to be disproved?
A recent blog post by obesity expert Jason Fung ads fuel to the fire in the debate that opposes the standard-bearers of “science-based medicine” to those whom they view as practicing or promoting “pseudoscience.”
Fung attacked the perennial debunkers and his blog post prompted an immediate riposte by Dr. David Gorski.
Anish and I tried to sort through the controversy.
- 00:00 Jason Fung’s case against the debunkers
- 08:05 Anish’s criticism of Fung’s debunking
- 10:50 How do we know jade eggs don’t work?
- 13:20 Michel’s prior experience with being debunked by the debunkers
- 21:40 The occult, the religious, and the naturalistic in medicine
- 26:20 Medicine and science have 2 different aims; doctors ought to be clear about what health is
- 31:25 Are the debukers baconian? Do they know of the demarcation problem? Is there a solution to the question of knowledge?