I’m the author of Conscious Sedation, an unpublished semi-autobiographical medical thriller about a rumpled concierge physician who solves a high profile murder mystery while drudging on a thankless job at the service of the rich and famous.
Until the book finds a suitable publisher (I reserve all rights to the movie), I blog here about the healthcare system, the doctor-patient relationship, and other related matters.
Outside of the blog, I indulge in the academic pastime of writing articles and editorials about medicine, ethics, natural philosophy and, more recently, economics. You can find links to my publications at the bottom of this page.
My other job is to be a cardiologist and internist in solo private practice (see here), and I also hold a part-time clinical faculty appointment at the University of California San Francisco.
Thank you kindly for your visit and interest.
- Accad, M. Hylomorphic elements and the cell theory: A basis for biological law? The Thomist (In Press)
- Accad, M. How Western medicine lost its soul. Linacre Q (2016) 83:144-46
- Accad, M. A rejoinder to Jason Eberl on brain death. Linacre Q (2016) 83:1-2
- Accad, M. Of parts and wholes: A Thomistic refutation of “brain death.” Linacre Q. (2015) 82:217-34.
- Accad M. Heterologous embryo transfer: magisterial answers and metaphysical questions. Linacre Q. (2014) 81:38-46
- Accad M. On defining good health. Tex Heart Inst J (correspondence). (2013) 40(3):370
- Accad M. Skills, knowledge, and prediction. Am J Cardiol (2012) 110(1):161
- Accad M. More reasons statins are shunned. Am J Cardiol (2011) 107(6):957
- Accad M, Fred HL. Risk-factor medicine: an industry out of control? Cardiology (2010) 117:64-67
- Accad M, Fred HL. On redefining hypertension. Tex Heart Inst J (2010) 37(4):439-441
- Accad M, Fred HL. Is Jupiter also a god of primary prevention? Tex Heart Inst J (2010) 37(1):6-7
- Accad M. Statistics and the rise of medical fortunetellers. Tex Heart Inst J (2009) 36(6):508-509
- Michaels AD, Accad M, Ports TA, Grossman W. Left ventricular systolic unloading and augmentation of intracoronary pressure and Doppler flow during enhanced external counterpulsation. Circulation (2002) 106(10):1237-42
- Accad M, Michaels AD. Management after myocardial infarction. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med (2002) 4(1):41-54
- Fazio S, Liu L, Gleaves LA, Major AS, Swift LL, Accad M, Linton MF, Fareses RV Jr. Increased atherosclerosis in LDL-receptor-deficient mice lacking ACAT1 in macrophages. J Clinic Invest (2001) 107(2):163-71
- Buhman KF, Accad M, Farese RV Jr. Mammalian acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferases. Biochim Biophys Acta (2000) 1529(1-3):142-54
- Buhman KF, Accad M, Novak S, Choi RS, Wong JS, Hamilton RL, Turley S, Farese RV Jr. Resistance to diet-induced hypercholesterolemia and gallstone formation in ACAT2-deficient mice. Nature Med (2000) 6(12):1341-47
- Accad M, Smith SJ, Newland DL, Sana DA, King LE Jr., Linton MF, Fazio S, Farese RV Jr. Massive xathomatosis, and altered composition of atheroscleoric lesions in hyperlidemic mice lacking acyl CoA:acyltrasferase 1. J Clin Invest (2000) 105(6):711-9
- Fred HL, Accad M. Lipemia Retinalis. N Eng J Med (1999) 340(25)1969
- Accad M, Farese RV Jr. Cholesterol homeostasis: a role for oxysterols. Curr Biol (1998) 8(17):R601-4
- Accad MF, Fred HL. Dyspnea, cyanosis, and pulmonary infiltrates in a young skier. Hosp Pract (1997) 32(12):93-4
- Accad MF, Fred HL. Gross hematuria in a young woman with seizures and skin lesions. Hosp Pract (1997) 32(5):204-6
- Fred HL, Accad MF. Abdominal pain, leg weakness, and alopecia in a teenage boy. Hosp Pract (1997) 32(4):69-70
- Feld S, Li G, Amirian J, Felli P, Vaugh WK, Accad M, Tolleson TR, Swenson C, Ostro M, Smalling RW. Enhanced thrombolysis, reduced coronary re-occlusion and limitation of infarct size with liposomal prostaglandin E1 in a canine thombolysis model. J Am Coll Cardiol (1994) 24(5):1382-1390
Here are some publications in the lay press:
- The Widomaker: A Movie Review. San Francisco Medicine. February/March 2016
- The War on Obesity: Conscientious Objections. San Francisco Medicine. May 2015
- “’Physician-Assisted Dying:’ A Deadly Choice for the Medical Profession.” San Francisco Medicine. April 2015
- “Medical Experts and the Stewardship of the Body,” CANFP News. Winter 2015
- “Prohibition, Then and Now.” San Francisco Medical Society Blog. September 29, 2014. http://www.sfms.org/NewsPublication/SFMSBlog/TabId/467/Tag/michel-accad/Default.aspx
- “Dr. Feelgood: Yesterday and Today” Healthy Living. Nob Hill Gazette. August 2014
- “Is the ‘Executive Physical’ Bad for You?” Healthy Living. Nob Hill Gazette. January 2014
- “The Cardiovascular Costs of Contraceptive ‘Freedom,’” CANFP News. Summer 2013
- “Herb Fred’s 4 C’s” foreword to The Best of Herb Fred, MD. Kingsley Literary Services, Houston, 2010.